Sunday, February 1, 2009

in the news - plastic island & atheists on buses

I heard a few things on the news recently that caught my attention.

The first was the reporting of a garbage island somewhere in the pacific ocean. I checked it out and supposedly it exists!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch#Impact_on_wildlife

What is most incredible is the estimated size!

"The size of the affected region is unknown, but estimates range from 700,000 km2 to more than 15 million km2, (0.41% to 8.1% of the size of the Pacific Ocean)."

wow... imagine... the worst part is nobody cares because the ocean belongs to no one. I think the UN should claim ownership over the ocean. And start imposing taxes on crossing it, fishing it, and dumping into it. That's my solution. (copyrighted)

The second thing was : http://www.justgiving.com/atheistbus

Absolutely hilarious. Like many others... it struck a chord with me. (but i'm not about to lighten my wallet for this cause)
I enjoyed the humbleness in this atheist message.. theres PROBABLY no god. I was listening to an interview by the creator of the campaign. The interviewee mentioned that advertising in general requires qualifiers (carlsburg said 'most likely the greatest beer in the world') but religions seem to be exempt from this rule. What prompted the campaign was bus advertising saying that 'his son will come and punish all those who don't believe'. Its a pretty cool story. A serendipitous idea that started out as a comment on the website : http://www.guardian.co.uk/ and grew into a campaign with a target of 5000 pounds but ended earning 150,000 pounds! Once again.. incredible... go internet tuby thingys!

No comments: